We thought we solved it all in one weekend… Viva was only meant to take four months to build. Here we are, 20 months later, and Viva is only just starting to emerge from its cocoon.
Allow me to indulge in a little story telling. I have written about how we came up with the name Viva. This is the story of how we came up with the logo.
Back in October 2015, John introduced Tony to the business through his connections at Fishburners (we were, indeed, resident at Fishburners for a few months… but we found there were better uses of our time than to sit behind a desk, so we left not long after joining). I cannot remember most of our first briefing meeting with Tony, though I do recall saying to him at various points at that meeting, “I want Viva to be like a heartbeat, pulsing. We want the thematic colour to be orange, because we want it to be vibrant, without being angry…” and so it went. We gave Tony a copy of everything the previous designers had done up to that point.
About a week later, Tony called us to meet him.
“I have come up with two concepts. Should we go through them?”
The question seemed rhetorical.
He started with “Concept 1”, which followed our design brief:
“That’s alright,” John said.
“Yeah, it’s OK,” I added, though something about the product felt just slightly off, slightly too mechanical and sterile.
Without telling us that Concept 1 sucked, Tony launched into “Concept 2”, and he began, “Viva is a discovery tool that takes the user from doing nothing, and not knowing what to do…”
“… to that “ahah” moment…”
“It is the journey of fun and colour from beginning to end.”
“Welcome to Viva.”
We knew straightaway that Tony had nailed it.
Tony tells the story from his perspective on his site here (he also tells the stories for a couple of other brands his studio helped create. I cannot recommend them highly enough to anyone looking for help with design and branding).